Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Kitchen Disasters & Delectable Food

Today I decided to make sure that the squash that Mom and Dad sent home with us got eaten. So, I found a shish kabob marinade online, adjusted it slightly according to what I have in the kitchen, and started. I marinated chicken pieces in the sauce for 2 hours, then insisted that Isaac grill the chicken on our stove. Whoops!
We have a skillet that has big grooves on it, making it perfect to 'grill' things on, the only problem is that we didn't expect the obvious issue with grilling...smoke. We had smoke and tons of it billowing around the house...it set off our smoke detector and one of the landlords came running over to see what the problem was. I told him we were experimenting and didn't expect there to be that much smoke, so he just laughed and said we shouldn't redo this experiment on the stove. But let me tell you, those shish kabobs were something to write home about! We had summer squash, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes from the home garden, then we added a red bell pepper, pearl onions, and, of course, the chicken. We then basted the whole thing in the marinade and wallah! Heaven! We had some Smith's garlic bread on the side also. I wanted to cook up some rice, but Isaac said to just skip it...saying we had more than enough food already (oh, and he took all the leftovers for dinner tonight at work).
Anyways, here is the Shish Kabob Marinade I used today (and I do suggest grilling the 'bobs on an actual grill outside...hehehe):

1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup veggie oil
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard (I used honey mustard since it is what I have)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon ginger

Happy grilling!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that your disaster still resulted in delicious food. I would like some grilled veggies....